Wednesday, May 25, 2016

bricks and Blocks quilt along week 4

This week, we will just be sandwiching our quilt. We have a long weekend, and I am sure we want to spend time with our families. I know I do, as I have been on major overtime with my day job.

First off we need to prepare our backing. If you are using 45" fabric, you will need to piece it. First, measure the length of the quilt and cut 2 pieces that are 8" longer than the quilt. Measure the width of the quilt and add 9 inches. We will use the extra inch for our seam. Cut the selvages off the backing fabric. The selvages are woven tighter and can make it hard to quilt through. Sew your two pieces together with a 1/2 inch seam, and press open. Not sure why I use a 1/2 inch seam, that is just how I was taught.

I am going to share 2 ways to sandwich your quilt.

The first way is the way I have always done it. First make sure your backing is well pressed. I like to starch mine a bit. Lay it on the floor with the right side against the floor. Smooth it out. If laying on a hard floor it may help to tape it. When I do mine on carpet I use the T-pins that are used for blocking doilies. Then use a spray adhesive made for quilts and spray your backing. Do this in a well ventilated area and hold the can away from your quilt. Make sure the backing is smooth. Then lay your batting on top and spray that. Make sure the batting is smooth. You can even let it dry a bit if you need to. Now, lay your quilt top on top of that and make sure it is smooth. I like to get the quilters safety pins, and pin a hand width apart. This just helps me to make it more secure. Work from the center out.

If you are doing a larger quilt and using the 45" wide fabric, you will follow the above, but when you cut your fabric pieces for the back you will make sure the widths are equal sizes.  Just because I prefer not to piece my backing, I use the 108" wide backing.  Yes, I may have extra, but it always gets put to good use.

The second way to sandwich your quilt is from my friend Christa at www.christaquilts.com. Her directions can be found here:  http://weallsew.com/super-simple-strips-quilt-along-part-3/. I have not tried this way yet, just because of the way my sewing room is, I currently don't have a wall big enough.  Also because I usually quilt on my machine quilting frames.

Next week we will start quilting our quilts.  I hope you have a great Memorial day weekend, and are able to spend some fun time with your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment